Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I May Have To Address This...


As of this morning, WOSU, my local PBS station, switched to digital! Somehow, I missed those announcements. I heard about it during Fred Anderle's Open Line call-in program on WOSU radio. (Thank you for that!)
Here's a link to that program on WOSU.
Read the general manager's blog here.

So far, I have been able to survive without WTTE's (Fox) morning news simulcast of their "sister station's" news and the grainy reception I had on WWHO53 (CW). I am not a PBS junkie, but the loss of WOSU on analog airspace will leave a noticeable gap in my viewing options.

On the radio program, WOSU staff discussed why the switch was made now (versus February 17 or June 12) and that their digital signal is operating, but not yet at full capacity. They discussed antennas and converter boxes and how they differ. The picture quality actually varies depending on distance from their tower. Some callers discussed difficulty in getting signals or the interruptions caused by weather and passing airplanes.

Somehow this whole process and the inconsistent results seems to mimic the days of fiddling with antennas and aluminum foil.

Cable service is looking better and better...sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment